"The Crucifixion"
This Crucifixion’s original location was the central row of the main altarpiece at the cathedral. Documents indicate that Palencia Cathedral’s current main altarpiece, which bears carvings and paintings, was commissioned by Bishop Diego de Deza (1443-1524) for what was then the main chapel and is now the Tabernacle chapel. At that time, it was not supposed to have any paintings, but instead, carvings by sculptor Felipe Bigarny (doc. 1498-1524) and architectural elements by Pedro de Guadalupe.